Wednesday, January 09, 2008

You Need to Go to Sleep


It's 7:33pm and I'm about to put Noah to sleep. Yes, that sounds pretty average. But it's not. You see, I'm going to do a form of "sleep training" tonight. Not the all out cry it out, I leave you in the room while I go down a bottle of wine while we both cry our eyes out method, but the one where I stay there. Stay next to him in his crib, soothing him, letting him know his crib is a happy place, encouraging him to cry if that's what he needs to do.

Because that really is what he needs to do. He needs to sleep. And the way we're doing things right now...not so much working. Noah is waking up all night long and can only get himself back to sleep by nursing. That was OK when he was 2 months old and just home from the hospital. That was OK when he was 6 months old and still such a babe. But he is almost hitting 11 months and I need him to come along with me for the ride. We have to get a more mutually agreeable sleeping situation. He isn't sleeping good either in our bed - he wakes up ALL NIGHT, sometimes 20 minutes after the last...so something has to be done.

I've backed out of this training several times now. And every time I don't do it because I can't bear to let him cry. But, I've been reading this book, The Aware Baby. And it's really incredible and making me think about things in a whole new light. Just a twist on my old philosophy. But it's allowing me to let him cry tonight. Crying is good for him. Cathartic. Necessary. I'll still be there. I'll still be with him, reassuring him, touching him if necessary, talking to him. But, I'm not going to just nurse him to sleep tonight.

Tonight will be different.
(ask me tomorrow if i chickened out...)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great approach, Hilary! One maybe we need to try, since we are having a VERY similar problem...and the taking to bed thing is also not working. I applaud you! You and I are similar (very emotional) creatures, who cannot bear to let our dear ones cry...not that others who do, care any less.... I think the crying hurts us more than them. I, too, need to stop nursing Olivia at night when she wakes up. Your entry has helped me to not feel like we're the only ones whose child still doesn't sleep through the night, and given a catalyst to sleep train Olivia. Blessings as you continue this journey with Noah!