Friday, July 18, 2008

The Beatitude Attitude


I really have to post about this - it's outrageously cute and hilarious (at least for me and my mom). My mom wrote (yes WROTE all the songs, dialogue, etc.) and directed a children's musical for her church in champaign called The Beatitude Attitude. It was an amazing performance (May 11th, 2008) and Dylan was thrilled to be there to be in the audience. WELL, fast forward more than two months. We now have the DVD of the performance, and we watch it at least 4 times/week. She LOVES it. No, that is a gross understatement. She is insanely obsessed with it. I can't fully describe how much she is nuts for this thing, but here is my attempt. First of all, she sings her own soundtrack of the musical pretty much all day long (for several weeks now). She busts out with microphone (usually a drumstick, traintrack or baseball bat) and all, and does a very convincing rendition of "Remember What Jesus Said" or "Poor in Spirit" (all with motions and dancing...). It's hysterical and of course adorable. She talks incessantly about the characters, acting like they are celebrities. And most hilarious/cute of all, she quotes the dialogue to me randomly in normal conversation. Here are two examples of the direct quotes from the show she has repeated to me:

"Mom, don't expect me to be your best friend." (as we are walking back to the park from a potty break...ummm...OK!)

(as we are shopping downtown) "Mom, you're not exactly rolling in the dough." Yes, Dylan, you are right on that one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious. i love it. can't wait to hear her singing in person.

Sara on 12:06 PM said...

That is so awesome! I especially love the random quotes. Hilarious! Hope we can see you in early September.

Sara

Anonymous said...

do I sense a future "drama queen?" it's good that you have no need for entertainment! ;)

Anonymous said...

I am convinced the girl knows a good thing when she sees it! (Just kidding) I can pretty much guarantee the cast isn't still singing the songs and doing the dances, so it is good to have her appreciate my work. However, you have my sincere apologies since you must really be a tad sick of the whole thing.