Sunday, January 07, 2007

Soon to be big sister


We had a couple of false alarms on the new baby recently. Last week I started having premature labor, contractions that sped up to 2 min apart, and needless to say we had to go into the hospital (I was only 34 weeks at that point and we wanted to stop contractions if possible, NOT have the baby). We were finally (after about 6 hours at the hospital) sent home after successfully stopping contractions with a couple of shots. False alarm one.

I was then told to lay on my left side a lot, take it easy, etc. So I did for most of the week. Then we had an opportunity to do some amazing work on our condo with my sis and bro-in-law leading the way on laying tile on our fireplace, doing built-in bookshelfs, etc. It was an amazing transformation and I should post some pics soon of before and after. Anyways, all my family left by Sat. morning about 9:30am. 3 hours later, I was walking in the kitchen and thought my water broke. Turns out, the midwife said the baby probably stomped on my bladder, giving me no warning and feeling just like my water had broken. Apparently she's seen this a lot. 4 hours in the hospital to double check amniotic fluid levels and make sure it didn't break so I could go about life as normal. False alarm two.

The huge benefit to false alarm two was that we had to get another ultrasound to check fluid levels, so while they were looking I had the tech check the sex again (since they couldn't tell because of position the first time). He saw testicles!! He showed them to us and it was pretty clear...so I guess we're having a boy! It's pretty wild considering we were told 75% girl and Jason was convinced we were having a girl. I think he just wanted a boy so bad he didn't want to be dissapointed. Now he gets his male heir.

Hopefully the next hospital story will be of real labor with a real baby and is several weeks down the road. We want to at least get to January 19th, cause then I'll be 37 weeks and can do the water birth in the alternative birthing center.

2 comments:

Lara on 5:22 PM said...

I hope things calm down for a while and that you can enjoy a few more weeks before the next round of excitement. We seriously cannot believe you are having a boy, too. This is crazy!

Anonymous said...

Hilary, good luck in the next few weeks until your little boy arrives. If you moved out here there would be three little boys within 3 months of each other-just something to think about :)