Monday, December 08, 2008

Stay awake!


I think I'll start a list of things I'm not proud of that I find myself doing with/to my kids. Otherwise known as,

Things I never thought I'd do as a parent:
- Let them eat three bananas each at one sitting - I mean, is that bad? Still undecided on that one.
- Let them eat food off the floor (not everywhere, but well it's a sliding scale...)
- Worry about my kids as much as I do - the worst kind of worry yet!
- Let a not-yet-two-year-old have a lollipop (I blame the older sister)
- Do anything I can to keep them from falling asleep in the car if I have to run an errand before we go home for naps (imagine tickling, throwing food at them, "Don't go to sleep yet Noah!")

Who can help with the list? Please leave your own additions to the list in the comments section.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, we went for haircuts the other day and a&e both got lollipops. i'm so not used to him being old enough and i just let him have it in the car for the ride home. before i knew it he had removed the wrapper and was sucking and making a huge mess. and then i was like, "what the heck was i thinking...he can't have that unsupervised in the backseat by himself!"

Anonymous said...

three bananas! whoa. amazing.

mhilly on 8:39 AM said...

Here's another: Asking Iain, "Don't you want to watch a show on TV?" as he's asking me to read him a book... not a proud moment.

Anonymous said...

I've already nodded my head at each of your entries and I also will turn on the TV for a nice distraction when I'm trying to get something done (or just want to sit!)

no way on 6:09 AM said...

Hi Hilary-it's Becky Healy. I love this post, because I think of these things all the time. I have been to known to reach around, grab people's legs and start shaking them while I'm driving, let Meg eat a piece of pizza crust off the floor on Friday, and also let them consume a full bottle of shaving cream if it meant they would stay in the bath tub a little longer. I do what I have to do. I need them in the bathtub-I can sit and read or do paperwork while I'm in there with them!

And I never stop worrying, or turning something small into something huge and tragic. I'm just that kind of gal!

Can't wait to take a look at your blog!