Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Preschool Part Two


See, I knew there would be a part two before it even happened.

Yesterday the director of a city waldorf school in nearby pilsen, called to chat about Dylan possibly going to preschool there next year. It's a long shot - probably out of our financial reach, and we don't even know for sure that we'll be here, but I really like the idea of this school, and I SO wanted to make a good impression.

If you don't know anything about Waldorf education look here. One key element for this post: they are anti-screens (tv, computer, etc.) in early-childhood development.

So, this wonderful woman calls me on the phone at 3:30 - a volatile time at our house when no one took a nap. We are playing with playdough, and I had to abruptly stop and talk to her. In hindsight, I should have excused myself from the conversation and told the kids I needed to have 5 minutes of important mommy time. But, instead, I just left the table and went to go talk.

Dylan starts yelling in the background - nothing terrible, but just lots of embarassing NOISE.

And then she comes storming to me and yells at the top of her lungs, "I want to play a computer game NOW!"

Whoa. Not only is she yelling at me, which is just not acceptable, but she is (shuddering in shame) asking about computer games while I'm talking to the waldorf lady!!!

We're not even screen people. Yeah, she gets one show or equal time on the computer per day, but that's it! It completely mortified me, but was so perfect at the same time. Served me right for trying to impress anyone with my parenting...over the phone or not.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you say anything about it to the lady on the phone? wow, that is hilarious and mortifying at the same time. :-)